| Descriptive text includes: ...a considerable fishing village, lying on the sea shore... it is more ancient than Whitehaven, and the military have their route designated "to Parton" when Whitehaven is intended as their quarters. Coals were shipped here till about 40 years ago, but few of the present inhabitants have any recollection of the traffic. It had a commodious quay, which was completely destroyed during the dreadful storms in January, 1797 [sic], since which the harbour has been deserted by large vessels, and is now only occupied by fishing boats... A tunnel was some years ago cut through Redness Point, to continue a rail-way to Parton, but it will soon be used for the purpose of conveying coal from the new mines in Moresby parish to Whitehaven. [also mentions Lowca iron foundry] There is an Independent Meeting House in the village, and also a Free School, which was built in 1818, by the late Joseph Williamson Esq., who endowed it with a freehold estate, which produces £42 per annum, and is situated in Arlecdon parish. The founder's nephew, Chilwell Williamson Esq., of Luton, in Bedfordshire, has since bequeathed a house, in Parton, for the residence of the master, who, by the deed of settlement, is to teach 60 free scholars, under the superintendence of three resident trustees, and five other respectable gentlemen. The benefit of this charity is restricted to the poor children of Parton; and the Bishops of Carlisle and Chester are appointed governors and visiters. The trustees &c. are to hold an aniversary meeting on the first Tuesday in July, to scrutinize the master's conduct, and the proficiency of his pupils. Near the village is a chalybeate spring, celebrated for its medicinal virtues.
|